Annapurna Trek | Treks of Annapurna Region
Annapurna Region is the most famous trekking destination in Nepal. It is located in the western central of Nepal. Annapurna Region is in fact the mother of trekking in Nepal. It is more popular than the Everest Base Camp in terms of the number of visitors. About two thirds of the total trekkers in Nepal, visit the Annapurna Region. It is popular because it is easily accessible, moderately difficult and can be undertaken in a short period of time.
Annapurna Region is a dream destination for many trekkers. It is an iconic destination full of superb mountain peaks, incredible people and culture, pristine blend of floras and faunas. The most important reason behind the popularity of this region is also the superb trekking infrastructure.
Annapurna Region is perfect for a few days’ hike, inspiring village treks, as well as month long adventures. Moreover, there are some off the beaten trails that best suit the interest of the travellers who want to beat the crowds.
Annapurna Trek is suitable for both health and happiness. Each trek in Nepal is different and gives trekkers unique experiences. Among many popular treks, one of the classic trekking adventures is famous Annapurna Region Trek. It is Nepal’s one of the appealing trekking destination that takes the trekkers in the Mecca of magnificent snow peaks, glaciers, forests, untamed flora and fauna, phenomenal diversity of people, culture and traditions.
Top Highlights in the Annapurna Region:
- Annapurna Base Camp
- Annapurna Circuit
- Poon Hill
- Nar Phu Valley
- Muktinath Temple
- Ghyaru and Ngawal
- Dhaulagiri Icefall
- Kang La Pass
- Annapurna North Base Camp
- Kali Gandaki Gorge: world’s deepest gorge
- Tatopani Hot Spring
- Thorong La Pass: Nepal’s highest and widest pass
- Tilicho Lake: world’s highest lakes
Trekking in the Annapurna Region of Nepal
Annapurna Region is the natural paradise. The region celebrates top four trekking routes in Nepal that includes Ghorepani Poonhill Trek, Jomsom Muktinath Trek, Annapurna Base Camp Trek, and Annapurna Circuit Trek. Besides that there are many other exotic and exclusive destinations which are highly praised and spectacular. Below are some of the best Trekking in the Annapurna Region of Nepal.
Annapurna Circuit Trek
Annapurna Circuit Trek is voted as the best long distance trek in the world as it includes the wide varieties of climatic zones, dramatic range of geography, and most significantly the unique culture and people. Annapurna circuit is the trek within the Annapurna Mountain Range of Central Nepal. Moreover, it is an appealing journey into a divine world that is approximately 160 to 230 km which leads you up to the pristine Thorong La Pass.
Annapurna Circuit Trek is a sensational trekking that wins the heart of the both beginners and experienced ones. This classy trek involves the most beautiful trekking trails which offer you an elegant view of world’s seventh and tenth highest mountains Dhaulagiri (8,167m) and Annapurna (8,091m). Similarly, the deepest Gorge of the world at Kali Gandaki River is mesmerizing. This trekking trail also offers graceful mountain views that include Machhapuchhre, Manaslu, Gangapurna, Tilicho Peak, Pisang Peak and many other snow topped mountains above 6,000m. Exploration of biodiversity at Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) would never come second in your trip.
Annapurna circuit Trek has been long considered the best trek in Nepal and one of the world’s classic walk. The most important thing about this trek is that you can walk on the both sides of Massif Annapurna. You will have a wonderful trip that covers different river valleys, sub tropical forests, waterfalls, gigantic cliffs, pilgrimage site, natural hot spring and typical villages.
Highlights of Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Ancient Trek Route
- Beautiful Manang Village
- Tilicho Lake: the highest lake of the world
- Thorang La Pass
- Muktinath Temple
- Kali Gandaki Gorge: the deepest gorge of the world
- Natural Hot Spring at Tatopani
- Poonhill: the most famous hill station
- Unique culture of Gurung, Magar and Thakali people
Interested in Annapurna Circuit Trek, if yes then here is the package on Annapurna Circuit Trek.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Annapurna Base Camp Trek is one of the most cherished trekking in Nepal. This Trek brings you to the foot of the world’s tenth highest mountain: Annapurna I (8,091m). This is also the 94th prominent mountain peak of the world. This mountain is one of the most beautiful mountains of the Annapurna Massif. This Trek is among the best treks for complete taste of diverse culture, terrain, wildlife and vegetation.
The landform varies from sub tropical valleys to the high altitude alpine valleys in this trek. The trail passes through many beautiful valleys which offer most pleasant views of Himalayan vistas, forest, rivers and waterfalls. Annapurna Base Camp Trek is the most popular choice of the trekkers around the world because it is just a pleasant hike to an altitude of 4,243m above the sea level yet provides the most inspiring mountain views of Annapurna Massif, Machhapuchhre (6,993m), Hiunchuli (6,441m), Manaslu (8,156m) etc.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek also passes through many beautiful villages. Chhomrong and Ghandruk villages are the popular Gurung villages.The people, culture and the hospitality of these villages will vitalize your spirit and trekking interest in Nepal. Moreover, you will have ample opportunity to study the lives of Magar and Thakali people as well.
Poon Hill (3,210m) is the best vantage point of sunrise and sunsets over the Himalayan ranges. You can enjoy brilliant views of sugar-coated mountains during the trek. Rejoice the panorama of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. Trust me! The Himalayas are enchanting!
Highlights of Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Trek to the Annapurna Base Camp (4,243m).
- Mind blowing Vistas of Annapurna, Fishtail, Dhaulagiri etc.
- Most appealing Sunrise or Sunset view from Poonhill (3,210m)
- Diverse ethnicity along the trail
- The Gurung village, Ghandruk
- Jhinu Danda, the house of natural hot spring
- The streams, rivers, and waterfalls along the trekking trail
- The Machhapuchhre Base Camp (4,040m)
Interested in Annapurna Base Camp Trek. If yes then here is the package on Annapurna Base Camp Trek.
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is one of the iconic trekking destinations of the Annapurna Region. Poonhill, which is also very popular as a vintage point for the exotic sunrise view is the Key highlight of this trek. This trek is also popularly known as Annapurna Panorama Trek. Poonhill (3,210m) gives invigorating view of Annapurna I, II, III and IV along with Dhaulagiri ranges, Lamjung Himal, Gangapurna, Manaslu etc.
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is specifically designed programme which offer the most striking features of the Annapurna Region with relative ease. The trek also highlights some local villages and astonishing cultures. The sunrise at the Poonhill offers astonishing panoramas that are out of this world. Many trekkers have referred this trek as one of the easiest treks in the Annapurna Region. The most important thing about this trek is it is luxurious and suitable for beginners, families and seniors.
Highlights of the Ghorepani Poonhill Trek
- Walk along the Mount Dhaulagiri (7th highest mountain)
- Explore Kaligandaki Valley
- Magnificent sunrise from Poonhill
- Hiking in the colourful Rhododendron forest
- Spiritual cultural heritages
- Diverse ethnic groups
- Astounding Mountain Peaks
- Mustang Valley
Interested in Ghorepani Poonhill Trek, if yes then here is the package on Ghorepani Poonhill Trek.
Jomsom Muktinath Trek
Jomsom Muktinath Trek is one of the exclusive and classic trekking packages in the Annapurna Region. This trek is best to observe striking mountain vistas, unique culture and traditions, people and civilizations. Many people choose this trek because Muktinath is one of the very famous pilgrimages for both Hindus and Buddhist. Mukthnath means the lord of salvation/ Nirvana.
Jomsom is a small town in the Annapurna mountain of Nepal. Jomsom is famous for the most appealing scene. It is a great place for starting trekking. Jomsom Muktinath Trek is very famous trek also because of well developed tourism infrastructure, easy access within a limited time frame.
Highlights of Jomsom Muktinath Trek
- Kali Gandaki Valley
- Muktinath Temple
- Jomsom Village
- Mustang Valley
- Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Mountain Views
Interested in Jomsom Muktinath Trek, if yes then here is the package on Jomsom Muktinath Trek.
Annapurna Panorama Trek
Nepal is famous for unbelievable land relief, climate, social and cultural assets. Annapurna Panorama Trek is one of the iconic trekking destinations of the Annapurna Region. Poonhill, which is also very popular as a vintage point for the exotic sunrise view is the Key highlight of this trek. So, this trek is also called Annapurna Poonhill Trek. Annapurna Panorama Trek really attracts anyone who loves the mix experience of nature and adventure. Poonhill (3,210m) gives invigorating view of Annapurna I, II, III and IV along with Dhaulagiri ranges, Lamjung Himal, Gangapurna, Manaslu etc.
The Annapurna Panorama Trek offers the best hiking experiences along with most striking panoramas. This trek is also suitable for camping. You can easily undertake this journey within very few days. It is one of the most sought after treks in Nepal. This trek also features hiking, camping, sightseeing, jungle safari, photography and other activities as per the interest of the trekkers. Remember that, this trek is suitable for all ages with moderate fitness.
Highlights of Annapurna Panorama Trek
- Mesmerizing Culture
- Breathtaking Views of the Himalayas
- Sunrise and sunset view
- Short and easy hikes
- Scenic flights
Interested in Annapurna Panorama Trek, if yes then here is the package on Annapurna Panorama Trek.
Mardi Himal Trek
Mardi Himal is a newer destination than EBC or ABC. This trek covers off the beater and unexplored trekking trails. This peak is one of the most exotic trekking destinations in the Annapurna Region. Mardi Himal Trek is one of the best treks in the Annapurna Region. This trek gifts you a mesmerizing view of mountains like Annapurna, Machhapuchhre, Hiunchuli and more.
Mardi Himal Trek is best to have close insight of unspoilt nature and culture. The route is incredible and provides picturesque and overwhelming experiences. This trek has been inside the fame because it is less crowded and fresh.
Highlights of Mardi Himal Trek
- Splendid mountain views
- Off the beaten and unspoilt trails
- Home-stay and great hospitality
- Unique people and culture
Khayar Lake Trek
Khayar Lake Trek is a newly discovered and up-trendy trekking destination in the Annapurna Region. It is one of the holy high mountain lakes that lie behind the massif of Annapurna South. The lake is a pilgrimage and people believe that they will get salvation after death if they pay homage to this sacred place. Similarly, people also believe that many married women come here to ask for their fertility.
The trek provides most stunning panorama of the mountains including Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri. It is peaceful and it is a great destination to study about the typical culture of Gurung and Magars. In addition to this, you can also hike to Poonhill for superb sunrise/sunset view. This trek is a rare opportunity to experience remote adventure too.
Highlights of Khayar Lake Trek
- Hike to sacred Khayar Lake
- Excellent Mountain View
- Unique culture of Gurung and Magar
- Pleasant and relaxing trails
- Traditional Villages and heart winning Hospitality.
Nar Phu Valley Trek
Nar Phu Valley Trek is one of the iconic trekking destinations in Nepal. This is trek is situated at the Annapurna Region; one of the most trekked regions of Nepal. Nar Phu Valley Trek is a newly discovered trekking in Nepal. It was discovered in the year 2003. It is remote trekking and yet there are so many things to be discovered. Therefore, this is yet little trekked area in Nepal. This is a hidden gem of the region. This Trekking offers the most appealing natural world and culturally enticing communities.
Nar Phu Valley Trek contains remote villages, forests, narrow canyons, Buddhist Gompas, and majestic mountain peaks. You can enjoy the complete panorama of Manaslu (8,163m), Dhaulagiri (8,167m) and Annapurna (8,091m) while traversing through this trekking route. This trek is the best option to study about the lives of the Tibetan descendents. The hospitality and the simplicity of the people will remain in your mind and soul lifetime.
Nar Phu Valley Treks is culturally rewarding journey. You will have an opportunity to visit Muktinath; the biggest Hindu Pilgrimage of the region. Similarly, you will be awe stricken by the wonderful vistas of Mustang. Since this trek covers most parts of Annapurna Circuit Trek, it has all those unique features of the same package. You can be passing through the interesting and unique villages of Marpha and the iconic vistas of the Manang Valley will definitely place you in open-mouthed. Nar Phu Valley Trek is best trek to witness the remote lives in Nepal, Hidden heritages, high, white and glistening Mountain peaks. The adventure while crossing the Kang La Pass and Thorong La Pass makes your trip exhilarating.
Highlights of Nar Phu Valley Trek
- Tibetan Culture
- Nar Phu Valley (Hidden gem in the Himalayas)
- This trek offers you the best landscape views
- Annapurna’s most remote and untouched region
- You can add in option Tilicho Lake: the highest altitude lake of the world
- Kang La Pass (5,240m)
- Cultural and geographical tour at a time
- Thorong La Pass (5,416m): the biggest and widest pass of Nepal
- Sightseeing around Pokhara and Kathmandu.
Interested in Nar Phu Valley Trek, if yes then here is the package on Nar Phu Valley Trek.
Tilicho Lake Thorong La Pass Trek
Trekking in Nepal is beyond one’s expectations and Tilicho Lake Thorong La Pass Trek is one of such popular treks located in the far off settlements of Manang District. This is a trek to the one of the winsome destination-Tilicho Lake (4,970m). It is the highest lake in the world and the emerald glow of water refreshes your mind and mood. Tilicho is the glacial lake located at the northern slope of Annapurna. The real adventure of this trek lies in crossing the Thorong La Pass (5,416m) of Manang.
Tilicho Lake Thorong La Pass Trek is culturally rich and ethnically diverse. This trek consists of the sub tropical woodlands to the dry arid land. Thus, this trek has an awesome variation of landform and climates. The trek is one of the best treks in the Annapurna Region. The adventurous journey consists of many such things that make your journey a lifetime memory. Once you cross the Thorong La Pass and descend down to Muktinath, you will have a combo experience of both adventurous and spiritual journey. Muktinath is the spiritual hub of the region.
Tilicho Lake Thorong La Pass Trek is a featured trekking destination in Nepal. It has deep gorge, desolate high mountain passes, relaxing hot spring, Hindu and Buddhist monuments, delightful farmlands etc. Poonhill, the most popular vantage point of the region lies on the way. Poonhill affords you the best sunrise and sunset view. Besides that it offers an extraordinary mountain views. Tatopani, a natural hotspring, Jomsom, Manang, Kagbeni etc add charm in this trekking. The trail passes through the lush forest, ancient villages, Himalayan pastures and rugged terrain. The red hue of rhododendron in the spring makes the environment appealing
Highlights of Tilicho Lake Thorong La Pass Trek
- Hike to the world’s widest pass: Thorong La Pass (5,416m)
- Exploration around the highest lake of the world: Tilicho Lake
- Excursion to Muktinath and Jomsom
- Ascending the Marshyangdi River Valley
- Guided sightseeing in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Relaxation at Hot Spring at Tatopani
- Interaction with Gurung and Thakali People about their culture
- Visit to magnificent lakes, glacier, gorge, and waterfall
- Observation and study of mountain ecology
- Scenic flight from Jomsom to Pokhara
Interested in Tilicho Lake Thorang La Pass Trek, if yes then here is the package on Tilicho Lake Thorang La Pass Trek.
Poonhill is the soul of the entire Annapurna region. As we have already repeated many times about this popular vintage point, again we insist that this is a must to do hike in the entire Annapurna Region if you want to experience the most captivating scene including the sunrise and sunset views.
Ghandruk is a popular Gurung Village in the Annapurna Region. This is a most trekked village as well. It attracts thousands of trekkers each year just because of the unique culture and notable hospitality. Moreover, it is best for getting comprehensive knowledge of pastoral lifestyle, unique settlements, and beautiful peaks of Nepal.
Annapurna Trek Facts
- Mount Annapurna I (8,091m) is the 10th highest mountain of the world.
- Mount Annapurna I was first ascended by the French Expedition team that was led by Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal in 1950.
- “Annapurna”; a book written by Maurice Herzog is the best seller. The book is sold over 11 million copies
- Mount Annapurna-I is technically very challenging. The death rate of this peak is 38% at the same time Mount Everest has only 6.5% death rate.
- Annapurna literally means “The Goddess of Food & Nourishment”.
- Annapurna is the massif in the Himalayas of the North Central Nepal. It includes five other peaks which are Annapurna II, Annapurna III, Annapurna IV, Gangapurna, and Annapurna South.
- Annapurna Conservation Area was established in 1985 and is the largest protected area in Nepal. The conservation area covers 7629 square kilometres.
- Annapurna Base Camp and Annapurna Circuit are the busiest trails in Nepal. It is even one of the most popular treks in the whole world.
- Kali Gandaki Gorge, which is in between Annapurna Range and Dhaulagiri, is the deepest gorge in the world.
- Annapurna Region is the home to some of the very beautiful high altitude lakes. Tilicho; the highest lake of the world, Khayar Lake and Ice Lake are some of them.
- Mustang; the most spectacular semi arid valley also known as desert of Nepal also falls in the Annapurna Region.
- Mustang Valley has some very quaint villages including Thini and Lupra. Yatrung festival celebrated in Mustang is one of the most interesting cultural highlight of Nepal.
- Annapurna Region also covers Marpha; the apple kingdom of Nepal.
- Annapurna Region also has Muktinath Temple which is one of the famous holy shrines of both Hindus and Buddhists.
- Annapurna Region has the highest number of trekking routes comparing to any other trekking regions in Nepal.
- Annapurna Base Camp and Annapurna Circuit Treks are the most celebrated treks in Nepal.
- Surprisingly, two thirds of all trekkers in Nepal go to the Annapurna Region.
- Thorang La Pass is one of the very famous passes in Nepal that lies in the same region.
Best Season for Annapurna Trek
Hiking and Trekking in Nepal can be done throughout the year. However, Autumn and Spring are the best seasons to go on trekking in the Annapurna Region. Every season has something distinct.
Autumn season lasts for September to November in Nepal. This season is the loveliest season in Nepal. The temperature is warm even at the Mountains. The days will be clear which affords the best mountain views. Autumn is the peak season to trek in the Annapurna region.
Spring Season lasts for March to May. During Spring Season Nepal experiences moderate climate. The hills will be veiled with the blossoms of Rhododendron, orchid etc. This season is perfect for the beautiful views along with a good vibe to trek. Moreover, this season provides a warm and favourable temperature for trekking.
Winter season (December to January) is little colder at the Himalayas. The precipitation will be at the form of snowfall. The days are still warmer with plenty of sunshine. The rainfall is occasional. If you like to travel in peaceful trails and extreme cold weather is not a problem for you, you can choose winter season. Hoverer, this season is considered an off-season for trekking and Hiking in Nepal. This is also an ideal time to travel because you will have off season discount and peaceful trails.
Summer Season (June to August) in Nepal is also an off-season for trekking. Nepal experiences summer rainfall. During this season, the trails will be muddy and slippery, frequent rainfall, flood and landslides will ruin your journey irritably. However, summer season is also an ideal season for Annapurna Region because some parts of Annapurna Region including Manang and Mustang lie in the rain shadow zone. This season is also on trend to for a better experience, peaceful trails, off seasonal discounts etc.
Physical Fitness for Annapurna Trek
Nepal offers hundreds of popular treks. Some of these treks are short and easy. Some treks that run through the great Himalayan trails are difficult and technically challenging. Shorts and Easy treks can be enjoyed by anyone but the difficult treks demands good physique and experience. Some of the treks in the Annapurna Region are moderately difficult while some other treks are technically difficult.
It is necessary to maintain moderate physical fitness before setting off on any treks in Nepal because trekking in Nepal is physically demanding. Most treks in Nepal are considered difficult because of dramatic ascents and descents as well as high altitude. Same is the case with most Annapurna Region Treks. It is must to have good physical condition if you want to enjoy your trek.
It is true that the amount of preparation depends upon the nature of the treks you chose. The higher and the longer the trek, the better physical fitness is needed. If you choose longer and high altitude treks, you should undertake a cardio exercise of 4/5 days in a week for about a month beforehand. If you are going for a short, easier and low altitude trek, being is good enough shape is just ok.
We suggest trekkers to maintain physical fitness prior to a couple of weeks. Technical Mountaineering skills are not required for most of the Annapurna Trekking, but previous trekking experience would be highly appreciated. We suggest you to go for jogging, hiking, cycling, gym, etc. to make your body fit prior to your treks. Similarly, have plenty of hygienic foods including protein, carbohydrates and minerals. Moreover, you need to be mentally ready for this adventurous journey. Here is the list of how to prepare for any trek in the Annapurna Region:
- Go for a run or hike to hills where you have to do ascents and descents.
- Once a week, do a long walk.
- Swim and cycle.
- You can also go up and down the stairs of a tall building.
- Eat healthy food.
- Keep on doing yoga. If you can, do more yoga related to breathing
Trekking Gears for Annapurna Trek
For the safe, secure, and successful trekking experience, we need some gears and instruments. We also may require some technical trekking instruments depending upon the difficulty grade. Here we are going to discuss briefly about trekking gears and instruments for Annapurna Region Trek.
Duffle Bag (It is useful if you hire a porter, It must be waterproof, durable, and lockable), Rucksack Bag with Waterproof Cover (It is useful if you travel independently),
Daypack (supportive daypack to carry essential hiking snacks, rain jacket, waterproof trousers, down jacket, camera and other personal items)
Hiking Boots, Socks, Gloves, Hat, Scarf, Shell Pants, Light Weight Walking Pants, Fleece Jacket, Waterproof Jacket, Thermal Vest, T-shirts, and Hiking Shorts etc.
Sleeping: Sleeping Bag, Pillow Case, and other Sleeping Accessories
Accessories: Trekking Poles, Water filters, Harness, Mosquito Repellent, Towel, and other luxury items.
Medication: Paracetamol, Diamox Tablet, Imodum, Chlorine Dioxcide, Antiseptic wipes, Small bandages and plasters
Other Essentials: Map, Compass, Sun-Glasses, Headlamp, First Aid Box, Repair Tool Kit, Extra food, Tent, etc.
- Valid passport
- Separate photocopies of passport
- 2 extra passport size photos
- Airline tickets
- Proof of Insurance
Tips for Trekking in the Annapurna Region of Nepal
- Do not travel alone, always hire a professional guide though most treks of this region can be done solo
- Pack as little as possible, pack less but don’t miss the essentials
- Get your permits ahead of time, keep them handy
- Bring all the money you will need, bring more than enough cash
- Keep your accessories charged before you sleep
- Get a high altitude insurance
- Take a rest day if you take 3000 m or above hike
- Be prepared beforehand as per the nature of the trek, it is wiser to have some basic physical workout for almost all treks of the region.
- Stay hydrated, avoid alcohol and cigarettes
- Do not underestimate the high altitude
- Don’t get afraid of little headache
- Collect the right gears
- Hike slowly and steadily
- Protect yourself against the sun