Information on Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
Altitude Sickness, also known as Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) and it means the effect of high altitudes on those who gain altitude too quickly. While you are in Nepal for Trekking and mountaineering holiday, “altitude related problem” is an important factor to know before heading towards mountains. Altitude sickness is really an uncertain and unusual activity, prevention is considered than cure. Generally such sickness might attract over about 3000 meters altitude.
The following are the basic symptoms of altitude sickness:
- Basic Symptoms:
(I) Loss of appetite
(II) Sleep disturbance
(III) Difficult to pass urine
- Medium Symptoms:
(I) Headache which is bad
(II) Irregular breathing
(IV) Mild weakness
- Serious Symptoms:
(I) Slight swelling of hands and face
(II) Cannot stand upright without swaying while eyes are closed.
(III) Can hear gurgling sound in the chest.
(IV) Zero energy.
- What we need to do after suffer from Altitude Sickness?
- We as an experienced trekking and mountaineering professional since several years, we apply simply the best method of cure for such sickness. Our all trekking and climbing guides are well trained with AMS and its methods of prevention. Not more than 500 meters ascend is recommended to avoid sickness. Altitude sickness also can be prevented by proper acclimatization day. We always customize and prepare outline itinerary of every trek by including numerous rest days depending upon ascends.
- The dry air of the mountains tends to dehydrate you so an increased fluid intake is necessary.
- Try to drink at least four liters of water a day.
- On the trail you can drink hot garlic soup that will help you to some extent.
- When we reach to our destination it is better to make some hiking up to a bit higher point and come down to the camp or hotel.
- You may take Diamox 250mg tablets the night before flying / going to altitude.
- If you feel obviously suffering from the serious symptoms of AMS then descent should not be delayed. In such case, should an emergency situation arise, horse, or porter will be arranged and run to lower (descend) altitudes.
- We can arrange for immediate evacuation, by horse or helicopter, depending on the severity of the case.