Manaslu Circuit Trek
Manaslu Circuit Trek is one of the best treks known for its solidarity and preservations. It is an underappreciated trek located in the remote western central region of Nepal in the Gorkha district. This trek revolves around the Manaslu Mountain (8,163m); one of the eight highest mountains of Nepal. This trek provides the opportunity to trekkers for a spiritual awakening by witnessing cultural heritage, unrivaled beauty, and extreme wilderness.
Unlike its sisters like Annapurna and Everest, Manaslu Circuit Trek is less crowded which makes the visit more appealing. This trek also provides you the same experience as of Annapurna. The trails take you through the roaring Budhi Gandaki River, from Aarughat to the apex point of the trek Larkya Pass (5,153m). En Route you will witness precarious bridges and stunning mountain views. As you climb upward, the landscape quickly transforms from the green countryside and lush green forest to unusual rocky terrains and crystalline glaciers. The trek provides you a glimpse into the Tibetan influenced culture, terrific sceneries of ice peaks like Manaslu, Himchuli, Himlung, and Larke. Trekkers get to enjoy the fantastic local food and culture which gives them insight into village life. A tranquil environment, adventure, varied range of culture, climate, and vegetation make Manaslu Circuit Trek one of the best treks in Nepal.
Table of Contents
Facts about Manaslu Circuit Trek
- Manaslu is the eighth highest mountain on the earth located in Mansiri Himal, part of the Nepali Himalaya region, in the west-central of Nepal. It was opened in 1992AD.
- Tishio Imanishi and Gyalzen Norbu have first climbed Mt. Manaslu in 1956 AD.
- It is just like a melting pot of ethnicity and religion. Gurungs, Bhutias, and kin to Sherpa share traditional lifestyles.
- This trekking is geographically spectacular and fabulous. It comprises Sub-Tropical Himalayan foothills to arid trans-Himalayan high pastures
- This region is extremely rich in bio-diversity. Manaslu Conservation Area comprises some endangered species such as snow leopard and Red Pandas. Grey wolf, Himalayan Musk Deer, Blue Sheep, Asian Black Bear, Langur Monkey, and over 110 species of birds, 33 mammals, and some other reptiles are found here.
- Manaslu region has mainly two habited valley: Tsum Valley and Nurbi Valley. Both of them are remote areas of Nepal and have a long history of Civilization.
- Larkya La Pass which is also known as Larke Pass is at the altitude of 5,106 meters. Although it is lower elevation than other passes like Thorong La Pass, Chola Pass, it is more difficult because of its long walk and more technical climbing.
- Manaslu is the most difficult trek in comparison to Annapurna Circuit Trek or Everest Base Camp Trek.
Best Time for Manaslu Circuit Trek
Nepal experiences subtropical monsoon climate. It is one of the ideal climates in the world. The climatic condition of Nepal itself is very unique that attracts many people from around the world. It experiences a moderate climate on average. However, Spring (March, April, May) and Autumn (September, October, November) are considered as the best seasons to visit Nepal as well as Manaslu Circuit Trek. Spring and Autumn seasons are the best time to visit the Manaslu Region because of moderate weather and stable climatic conditions.
Spring Season is one of the best seasons to visit Manaslu Circuit because the weather is ideal with moderate temperatures and bright warm days. It is neither too hot nor too cold here. The bright days with clear sky offer a colorful scene of the entire region. One can also enjoy the colorful blooms of rhododendron over the entire region.
Autumn is another perfect season to visit the Manaslu region. The season is also marked by moderate temperatures and bright sunny days. The weather in this season remains stable. The Autumn season is the season of festivals in Nepal, so you can capture the best moments in this period. In this season one can observe the best views of the Himalayas in the clear sky.
You can also make a visit to the seasons of winter and monsoon. However, these seasons are least famous due to low temperatures and heavy rainfall. It depends on your purpose, which season is favorable for you. Some people prefer to come even in winter because these seasons are off-season for trekking in Nepal and the trails are quiet and peaceful. Similarly, one can also get off seasonal discounts.
Why is Manaslu Circuit Trek a must Experience?
Nepal is a trekking paradise. Heaven is a myth, Nepal is real. Mother Nature has blessed us with unbelievable entities. The Himalayan heritages of our country dangle as a pendant in its neck. The Nepalese landscape is a complete mystery. Rich cultural valleys, Rivers, Gorge, Natural fountains, Caves, Canyons, Mountain Passes are all gems she has. She has many stunning trekking destinations. Manaslu Circuit Trek is one of the fantastic trekking regions in Nepal.
Mount Manaslu (8,163m) is one of the most graceful mountains. The eighth highest mountain, Manaslu is also regarded as the Mountain of Spirit. The Tibetan people address this mountain as Kutung whereas the Nepalese name Manaslu is derived from Sanskrit word Manasa which means Intellect or Soul. The first successful submission of this beautiful mountain was led by Tisho Imanishi and Gyalzen Norbu of the Japanese Expedition Team in 1956.
Manaslu Circuit Trek is a circular trek around Mount Manaslu. This trek is remote, physically demanding, culturally enriching, and scenically uplifting. Trekking in the Manaslu Trekking trails is one of the most delightful adventures of your lifetime. This has now become a promising alternative to Annapurna Circuit Trek. This trek can be the best example of a teahouse trek with numerous camping. The ultimate destination of this trek is the Larkya La Pass (5,213m) which offers majestic views of Himalchuli (7,893m), Manaslu (8,163m), Sarangi Himal (7,161m), Ganesh Himal (7,118m) and several other peaks. Besides that, you can explore remote villages, untouched trails, and dense forests.
Manaslu Circuit Trek befits the technical climbers however anyone can choose this venture but they must have strong determination and good physique. A professional and licensed guide is a must for everyone.
Why Manaslu Circuit is a Must to do Trek in Nepal?
- It is the best remote region trek in Nepal. It preserves the pristine natural and cultural entities.
- It has peaceful and off the beaten trails. It is a secluded, relatively challenging, and hidden trek. Thus, very few treks here.
- It is the Shangri-La of rich cultural practices. It has preserved the diverse range of ethnic groups, Unique practices of Tibetan Buddhist descendants, Gurungs, Bhutias, etc. Tsum and Nubri are the major ethnic communities which still retain traditional culture, art, and traditions
- Except for the high, cold, and challenging upper region leading up to the Larke/Larkya La Pass, Manaslu Circuit Trek is moderately strenuous.
- Manaslu Circuit Trek is safe and secure. The trails are rebuilt after the 2015 earthquake aftermaths. There are basic teahouses as well
- It has easily accessible side treks for hiking and trekking.
- It is the perfect package to experience lush subtropical climate to dry, rocky and arid climate.
- The trek preserves its heritage intact. It has thousands of years old Monasteries, Gompas, and hidden caves. They are still virgins because the valley remained secluded and hidden for a long time.
- This trek is rich in Biodiversity. The Manaslu Conservation Area Project protects some of the endangered species including Snow Leopard, Red Panda, Himalayan Black Bear, Serow, Himalayan Tahr, Ghoral, Barking Deer and Wild Boar.
- Serang Gomba, Samagaun, Birendra Tal, Manaslu Base camp, Larkya La Pass, etc are very important highlights of the region. They will definitely make the journey exciting and one will easily have magical experiences.
- The trek is also historical heaven with some of the very important hidden valleys. The history draws us back to the days of Guru Rimpoche of the 8th Century.
- Manaslu Circuit Trek is also a must-do trek because it has trails that offer the best mountain views. it is a perfect place to observe the snow-clad mountains like Mt. Manaslu (8163m), Himal Chuli (7,893m) Shringi (7,187 m) Ngadi Chuli (7,871 m) and Ganesh Himal (7422m)
Interested in Manaslu Circuit Trek then please fill-up the form below:
Manaslu Circuit Trek Cost
Estimating the cost beforehand is the most important thing to do before going on a trek. Manaslu Circuit Trek is not as expensive as one would think. It is relatively cheaper than Everest and a little expensive than Langtang and Annapurna. The cost includes meal, accommodation, Manaslu Special Permit, ACAP permit, Guide and porter cost, your own personal expenses, etc. There are many Trekking Companies that offer you a competitive cost. However, the most reasonable Manaslu Circuit Trek Cost ranges from $1000 to $1500. It also depends upon the length of your Trek.
Manaslu Circuit Trek Average Cost Details:
- Manaslu Restricted Area Permit Cost (from September to November): USD 70 per person for the first week and USD 10 thereafter.
- Manaslu Restricted Area Permit Cost (from December to August): USD 50per person for the first week and USD 7 thereafter.
- Manaslu Conservation Area Project Permit Cost: USD 20 per person (foreigners) and USD 2 (SAARC nationals)
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project Permit Cost: USD 20 per person (foreigners) and USD 2 (SAARC nationals)
- Tsum Valley Permit Cost: USD 25 for the first eight days (Dec-Aug) and USD 35 for the first eight days (Sept-Nov).
- Transportation Cost: local bus (USD 10), private Jeep (USD 200-250) per person
- Food and Drink Cost: USD 5 per meal, a bottle of water costs USD 1 to 4, a cup of Coffee costs USD 2 to 4
- Accommodations Costs: USD 6 to 9 per night
- Guide and Porter Costs: USD 35 per day (Guide ), USD 20-25 per day (porter)
Top 10 Reasons to go to Manaslu Circuit Trek
Manaslu Circuit Trek is different than other popular trekking in Nepal. It is secluded, hidden treks in Nepal. It doesn’t have hustle and bustles of the trekkers. It is new and fresh in comparison to other commercial trekking in Nepal. The trek is relatively difficult. However, the pains of struggles along the trails are compensated by the most wonderful and pristine natural wonders. The views of the mountains are beyond your imaginations. Since it is a hidden gem of Nepal, everything is fresh and real here. You will experience the virginity of nature yourself. The pressure of the human feet is still away in some areas of this region.
Diverse Culture and Lifestyles:
Manaslu Circuit Treks offers the most unique and typical cultures as well. Mountain region of Nepal is not only famous for the sparkling and dazzling mountains but also for unique cultures and traditions. Manaslu Region is close to the Tibet has preserved the ancient cultural practices of the Tibetan descendants. The Tibetan Buddhist people, monasteries, cave walls, fortresses, colorful trails with prayer flags, Tibetan style houses and architectural monuments, etc. add the taste to the trek. If you want to experience the virgin glory of Nepalese traditions, don’t forget to visit the villages of mountain regions of Nepal, especially the Manaslu Circuit Trek.
Hidden Valleys and Caves
Manaslu Region is not yet fully explored. It is a hidden valley. Tsum Valley is an excellent example of hidden valleys. These valleys preserve ancient culture, traditions, and heritage. The traces of such hidden heritages directly draw us back to medieval Nepal. It has many prayer walls, prayer wheels, ancient caves, and monasteries. They have still been intact and give us evidence of the actual Nepalese sphere. It is believed that Guru Rimpoche had meditated in the caves here around. Some of the unique traditions are also preserved here.
The views of Manaslu Circuit Trek are just incomparable. The journey will dazzle with the mesmerizing peaks. In fact, you will have a wonderful feast of the most significant mountains. The mountains will leave captivating effects on your mind and memories. Some of these peaks include Mt Manaslu (8163m), Himal Chuli (7,893m) Shringi (7,187 m) Ngadi Chuli (7,871 m) and Ganesh Himal (7422m). Trekking in the Manaslu Circuit, one can observe these mountains from the maximum proximity.
Adventurous Hike to Larkya La Pass:
Larkya La Pass is not technically difficult mountain pass but it demands a high degree of physical stamina and mental endurance. The steep, rugged and rough trails over the moraine are very difficult to overcome. The altitude also is troublesome and undertaking this is perfectly an adventure with the most alluring scenes. The glaciers, frozen lakes, and small rivers that flow underneath will definitely steal your heart.
Manaslu Region is also home to a number of endangered species of plants and animals. Whilst not confined only to this region, many of these animals are not found in most other areas of Nepal. Manaslu Conservation Area is known for the best preservations in Nepal. The elusive Snow Leopard, Red Panda, Himalayan Black Bear, Serow, Himalayan Tahr, Ghoral, Barking Deer, and Wild Boar all make their homes here. Danfe, Nepal’s beautiful national bird resides at lower altitudes. Therefore, Manaslu Circuit Trek is also suitable for those who want to study biodiversity and who have a great interest in wildlife photography.
Unique Traditions like Polyandry:
Nepal is a home of some of the totally mysterious customs and traditions. These traditions and customs have become the subject of concern for many people around the world. Among such traditions, polyandry is one that is prevalent in the upper Himalayan region of Nepal including the Manaslu region. Basically, this tradition was practiced in the Tibetan territory widely. Some of the traces of this tradition are still found in the upper region of Mustang, Dolpa, Humla, and Manaslu region among the people of the “Loba” Community.
Virgin Glory of Nature:
Manaslu Region is a newly trending trekking destination. It is a hidden valley with a diverse range of heritages. It is historical heaven. Many places in the region are yet not explored fully. It has remained beyond the human reach for hundreds of years. Thus, the nature and culture of the region are still fresh and intact. You can taste the original flavor of unique culture and cultural practices.
Completely Restored after Earthquake aftermath:
Manaslu Circuit Trek is safe and secured for the trekkers. It is the trek with a number of camps associated with it. This is a newly developing trek in Nepal, thus it doesn’t have enough teahouses. This trek has been completely restored after the earthquake aftermaths. The teahouses have been upgraded with basic facilities.
Must to Experience Highlights:
Manaslu Circuit Trek is the perfect trek for every traveler. This trek fits everyone with any travel motif. It has preserved some of the important gems of the regions. To talk about them Serang Gompa comes ahead. Serang Gompa is the perfect place to visit. It is one of the four beyuls of the region. Located at the foot of the Shringi Himal, this is historically the most important heritage. It is also known as the place where Guru Rimpoche had meditated. It is also famous for the most remarkable mountain views.
Samagaun and Birendra Tal on the other hand are other hidden gems of the region. Samagaun is an old Tibetan village with a monastery and a number of Chortens. The village is also treated as the base camp of Mount Manaslu. It is the best for acclimatization for the one who heads for the Manaslu expedition. Birendra Tal on the other hand is a little far from the village. It is a beautiful glacial lake at the foot of Manaslu glacier. It will definitely give you magical effects to your eyes.
Other beautiful places for the excursion here around are Hinang Gompa and Himalchuli Base Camp. These places are also worth visiting to have enough knowledge about Tibetan Buddhism.
So if you are interested in such a memorable trip of Manaslu Circuit trek then please view more about trek itinerary.